February 13, 2018 02:02 pm
The fifth batch of 136 Nigerian returnees from Libya arrived Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa at about 1:15am, Tuesday morning, NEMA has said.
Martins Ejike, South-South Zonal Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), was represented by Ebhodaghe Eric, NEMA Chief Administrative Office who received the returnees that arrived via MedView Airline 5N-MAB.
Ejike said “They are all intact, except one of them who we are taking to the hospital with the ambulance to find out why she is unstable.”
He appealed with the government of Osun and Ekiti states to quicken the process of picking their indigenes from the fourth batch who are still at the centre for returnees.
Ejike said the agency will contact state governors for prompt evacuation of the returnees from the fifth batch in the Port Harcourt centre.
Joy Job, one of the returnees, described her experience in Libya as “horrible, sorrowful and unforgettable.’’
She was full of thanks to the Federal Government for rescuing them and fulfilling its promise of bringing Nigerians home.
Joy said she was sold into slavery by a Nigerian who tricked her into working at a hair dressing salon in Kano, before discovering that she had been sold into slavery to another Nigerian living in Libya.
“Nigerians are selling fellow Nigerians into slavery in Libya; we are sold from one person to another, Libya people will buy us from our people and use us for any kind of work they like.
I did not know that where I was in Kano was a boundary between Nigeria and another country until I saw myself surrounded with guns.
My abductors told me that if I did not agree to go to Libya, they will kill me, so I had no option than to agree with them.
They gave us Nigerian account numbers to pay in the money they charged us before they freed us from their custody.”
Joy Job advised Nigerian youths still nursing the idea of travelling out of the country illegally to drop it and manage life with whatever they see in the country.
She appealed with the Federal Government to continue with the evacuation in order to save many Nigerians who were still in different prisons and camps in Libya.